A weak and unpredictable judiciary, corruption, conflicts of interest in regulatory and commercial matters, and monopolies hinder imports.
Includes import documentation and other requirements for both the U.S. exporter and foreign importer.
Importers are required to provide the State Customs Committee with the following: signed import contract (and contract number), customs declaration, permission(s) from the relevant state entity(s) when applicable, bill of lading, sales invoice and packing list, certificate of origin, and certificate of quality of the imported merchandise.
Goods imported into Azerbaijan for processing and later re-exported are subject to normal duties and taxes at the time of importation. As soon as processing has been completed and the goods are re-exported, a draw-back procedure can be initiated to recover the taxes and duty paid. There is no formal procedure for submitting an application, and this process is cumbersome to use. The State Customs Committee establishes the time for the processing and re-export of the goods, usually within two years. In addition, it may also stipulate a minimum amount of finished product be held to assure that the imported goods are utilized for the purpose intended.
Provisions for import of goods and equipment are an integral part of production sharing agreements (PSAs) in the energy sector. Goods, tools, equipment, supplies, and services necessary for successfully carrying out the objectives of the PSA are generally exempt from import duties and taxes. By extension, foreign firms registered to do business in Azerbaijan, and who provide services for contractor parties or foreign sub-contractors participating in PSAs, may also be exempt from duties and VAT on imported goods and equipment. In all cases, the specific terms of the PSA will govern each individual situation.
Prepared by our U.S. Embassies abroad. With its network of 108 offices across the United States and in more than 75 countries, the U.S. Commercial Service of the U.S. Department of Commerce utilizes its global presence and international marketing expertise to help U.S. companies sell their products and services worldwide. Locate the U.S. Commercial Service trade specialist in the U.S. nearest you by visiting http://export.gov/usoffices.
Azerbaijan is not a member of the WTO and has not made progress on accession to the WTO. In 2016, Azerbaijan imposed higher tariffs on a number of imported goods, including agricultural products, to promote domestic production through import substitution.
Azerbaijan adopted a new set of tariffs in 2018, simplifying the regime to include only three rates: 0%, 5%, or 15%, depending on the import. Under the new regime, the majority of raw materials and machinery are exempt from customs duties. Finished products and agricultural produce are all typically charged a 15% tariff.
Under the production sharing agreement (PSA) contract regime used in the energy sector, contractors, their agents, and subcontractors are entitled to import and re-export goods used for hydrocarbon activities from Azerbaijan without any import duties or restrictions.
Free import by persons of 16 years and older:
- 600 cigarettes;
- 3 liters of alcoholic beverages;
- a reasonable quantity of perfume for personal use;
- goods up to an amount of USD 1,500.- for personal use only (if being younger than 16 years: up to an amount of USD 500.-);
- personal effects (must be declared on arrival): 20 grams of gold or 0,5 carat diamond fixed in jewellery goods, other precious metals and jewellery: up to USD 1,500 ;
- up to 10 kilograms food and 125 grams caviar.
Click here to see : Airport tax regulations details
Prohibited: Photographs and printed matter directed against Azerbaijan, live animals (subject to special permit), military arms and ammunition, narcotics (opium, hashish, etc.), fruit and vegetables.
Customs declaration must be handed over on departure.
The Government of Azerbaijan must approve, certify, or license exports or imports of weapons, military equipment, explosives, special types of scientific and technical information for production of weapons, nuclear and radioactive materials and technologies, narcotic and psychotropic substances, blood and blood components, and unprocessed diamonds. In addition, the government regulates the export of strategic commodities produced in Azerbaijan.
Export or import of the following goods also require government approval: wild animals and plants, animal- or plant-derived raw materials, information on the location of natural resources and thermal energy, works of art and antiques, results of scientific and other research, inventions, controlled psychotropic substances, medical equipment, insecticides, and veterinary drugs and substances. Prohibited and restricted imports and exports are subject to change. Please consult with industry professionals for the most up-to-date information on restrictions and regulations.
Click here to see : Prohibited and Restricted Imports
Miscellaneous (Pets, Motors, Fauna & Flora etc…)
Cats, dogs, and birds (except pigeons) must be accompanied by a veterinarian health certificate with seal of local board of health and not be issued over ten days prior to arrival. Pigeons are prohibited entry. Pets may enter as passenger’s checked baggage, in the cabin or as cargo. Generally, pets are not permitted in hotels.
The determination of the customs value by declarant for the vehicles imported into the customs territory of the Republic of Azerbaijan is adjusted in accordance with the international principles such as Art.VII of GATT, Customs Code of the Republic of Azerbaijan as well as other normative legal acts.
The information declared by the declarant in respect to the customs value and its determination must be precise, quantified and referred to the justified documents.
Customs authority reserves rights to inspect the preciseness of declaration or any information, document submitted with a view to define the customs value.
Click here to see : Details
zoological collections, their parts or separate objects, as well as objects of animal world, taking out or sending, bringing or receiving of which is not allowed by the Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
- valuable kinds of trees (walnut, chestnut, lime-tree, oak, beech, argan-tree);
- service and civilian weapons, all articles of military purpose, explosives, military equipment, circulation of which is prohibited by the legislation of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
- radioactive substances;
- narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances and their precursors, supplies for their use;
- materials advertising immorality, violence, terrorism;
- materials on technology of production of narcotic, psychotropic, poisonous, explosive substances;
- special confidential communication facilities, their ciphers and operation manuals;
- information systems, documents and archives on operational investigation activities of the Ministry of Defense, State Security Service, State Border Service and Ministry of Internal Affairs;
- documents, inventions, projects of state importance;
- rare plants, deer and roe horns included into the Red Book of the Azerbaijan Republic;
- cultural property objects included to the State Registry of national cultural property of the Republic of Azerbaijan, except for cases of holding temporary exhibitions, guest performances, restoration works, presentations, international cultural events;
- Data carriers are not permitted to be conveyed through the customs border of the Republic of Azerbaijan when it is not possible to read their content;
- Weapons and their ammunition are not permitted to be sent by physical persons.
Click here to see : Details