Duty free items are only exempt in taxes within allowable concessions. Therefore, if your acquired goods exceed your personal concession, the goods you purchased from a duty-free shop, will be subject to Customs duty.
Duty-free items are:
- Spirits, including liquors not exceeding 1 Litre, or wine not exceeding 2 Litres.
- Perfumes and toiletries not exceeding 1 Litre in total, of which the perfume is not more than 250ml.
- Cigarettes, cigars, cheroots, cigarillos, tobacco and snuff not exceeding 250grams in total.
- Used personal effects.
On the Passenger declaration form, the passenger must declare what they actually paid for each item. If you did not buy the item yourself – for example, if it is a gift – estimate its retail value in the country where you received it. Even if the item bought is second hand, it is still dutiable.
There is no limit for taxable goods. Every passenger is entitled to an allowance of up to USD500 on the value of items imported.
Items to declare upon arrival in Kenya:
- Items you purchased and are carrying with you upon return to Kenya.
- Items you inherited while abroad.
- Items you bought in duty-free shops, on the ship, or on the plane.
- Repairs or alterations to any items you took abroad and then brought back, even if the repairs/alterations were performed free of charge.
- Items you brought for someone else including gifts.
- Items you intend to sell or use in your business, including business merchandise that you took out of Kenya on your trip.
- Donations and items brought for charity.
- Currency of 10,000 USD and above or its equivalent must be declared at Customs upon arrival.
- Fake money
- Pornographic material /indecent articles
- Narcotic drugs
- Used tyres for light commercial vehicles
- Shisha and shisha flavours
- Skin whitening/lightening creams
- Toy guns
- Worn underwear garments of any types.
- Counterfeit goods of all kinds
Miscellaneous (Pets, Motors, and others.)
List of restricted goods :
- Unworked precious metals and precious stones
- Arms and ammunition
- Ivory worked or unworked
- Spent cartridges
- Historical artefacts
- Plants and plant material