Moving to Melbourne? What you need to know…

According to the Economist Intelligence Unit’s global livability ranking, Melbourne is as the first position when it comes to the most livable city in the world. In fact, it has been occupying the top space for five years.

 So if you have been thinking of moving there, you made the right decision. Australia’s centre for arts, culture, shopping and dining will certainly amaze you with its colourful street, music and food. Check out a few important things that you need to know when moving there.

Where to live?

The first thing that must be taken care of is accommodation. You should know that if you are looking for a place in the central business district, you will have to disburse a lot of money. Rent can be very expensive there and the apartments are usually small. However, a good idea would be to look at housing options in the suburbs that are near the CBD. These are like miniature cities, so you do not have to worry about missing out on anything. Since the market can be very competitive make sure that you have your applications ready to go at inspection or to get in touch with a real estate agent.

The job market

The unemployment rate is pretty low in Australia and its economy has fared pretty well within the past decade. To find a job in the country, you must start by finding out whether your skills are in demand. This can be done by checking out Australia’s Skilled Occupations List. Then, you can get hired and sponsored by your employer, which will give you a temporary skilled visa. If your area of interest is not on this list, you can apply for a working holiday visa.

How to move around the city?

The public transportation system is practical, efficient and cost-effective in Melbourne. You can move around by tram, train or buses. The first thing that you must do to use the public transport is to get a Myki card, since there are no paper tickets. You can purchase the card from train stations, 7-Eleven stores and other locations. You just have to tap it at readers at the stations.

If you want to drive around, you must apply for a Victorian driver’s licence. This must be done within three months’ of arriving in the country and you might be required to sit for some tests to obtain a licence.


If you are looking for a school for your children, you can take the help of Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE). This is a test that measures students’ performance against their cohort. Some of the top performing schools are Melbourne High School, Mac. Robertson Girls’ High School, and Balwyn High.

With regards to higher education, Melbourne has some of the finest universities in the world. Check out the University of Melbourne, Australian National University, Monash University, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT), Deakin University, La Trobe University, Swinburne University of Technology and Victoria University.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *